Monday, January 7, 2013

Reflections: Week 1

Yes, that's right folks! We've officially finished the first week of our January Whole 30. I encourage you to keep not only a food/sleep/and exercise journal but also to keep track of the thoughts, struggles, feelings you have throughout the process so you can look back and see how certain foods, events in your life, etc. affected you. Here's my two cents.

So far, my second Whole 30 has been much, much easier than my first. It also seems to be going by faster, which is odd since I have been off of work more than I have been at work. I suspect this is a function of knowing the basic rules of what is compliant and what isn't, as well as knowing that I actually enjoy eating this way.

Week 1 hasn't been all smooth sailing by any means though. I had major cravings on Day 4 (dark chocolate and milk/milkshakes) which I think were brought on by an extremely stressful workday and the fact that it was Friday. I may be one of the only people on the planet who actually hates Fridays. Mondays don't bother me all that much, but Fridays always bring around this sense of dread to me. I clearly need to work on that! And of course there was the food poisoning episode last night. Needless to say, chicken has me on edge. I'm going to have to finish leftovers sooner rather than later. Lesson learned the hard way, unfortunately. I was also extremely tempted to weigh myself yesterday and today. I resisted. Not until January 31! I want to focus this Whole 30 on healing my body, my mind, and improving my sleep. A scale can't measure any of those goals, so hidden it stays.

I've been heavily relying on the Caveman Truck, which is a wonderful convenience I didn't have the first time around. I'm giddy just reading that he will be downtown tomorrow knowing I will have crockpot chicken fajitas waiting when I get home. I've discovered that planning my meals, shopping and cooking them gives me a sense of comfort and accomplishment. The food tastes amazing and I know that it is good for me. It's something I can do for myself on a daily basis to increase my self-confidence which is at an all-time low.

The most important and the most satisfying part of this experience thus far is how it has brought me closer to friends and family. I absolutely love getting texts of everyone's mouthwatering meals and am inspired by all of your dedication and creativity. I feel like this is bringing us closer while making us healthier and I think that is incredible. It is  immensely easier to do this with a partner and I am delighted to be yours. Thank you for all your love and support. It means the world to me. Don't hesitate to ask or share anything--that's exactly why this exists.

So, let's keep up the enthusiasm and roll right into Week 2! Oh, and Roll Tide Roll, they're looking good right now! :) SEC, baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment