Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Day 1: Happy 2013!

Today is the first day in my second Whole 30 process. I am EXCITED!!!! I know how good this will make me feel physically, intellectually and emotionally and I hope you get to experience all the same positive experiences, along with the few negatives, that will make your body healthier though this process.

Things to do today (and today only): Weigh yourself and measure yourself (if you choose). At least hop on the scale this morning and record that number. You don't have to share it with the world. I honestly can't believe I did but my thought process was if I am completely vulnerable in this process with you, I can learn more about myself and you will trust me. There's no motivation to inflate that number, because honestly, what woman in their right mind wants to say they weigh more than they actually do?!?! Conversely, there's no motivation to decrease that number because then the weight subsequently lost will decrease as well. So, here I am. All 145.6 lbs of me. I did not measure myself, mainly because I left my tape measurer at work.

Now, put that scale away, have someone hide it at their house for you if you must, but do NOT weigh yourself until the end of your 30 days. Why? Well, losing weight is probably at the top of everyone's lists, but the ultimate goal here is not to lose weight. It is to be healthy. Again, you are thinking, this lady is bonkers. Trust me, this was incredibly difficult for me to wrap my mind around given my profession and education but a few arbitrary numbers will tell you nothing and can easily be manipulated. Weighing yourself is just one way to measure if you are achieving your goal, but this can be deceiving.


 Five pounds of fat vs. Five pounds of muscle


Everyone knows that muscle weighs more than fat. I'd rather weigh what I do now than be 115 lbs with 35% body fat. The number can be deceitful. Furthermore, constantly weighing yourself, either every morning or multiple times a day, is frivolous. Your body weight fluctuates throughout the day as you are eating, moving, breathing, digesting. It is also a dangerous trap to weigh yourself constantly because once you see those numbers start to drop, that little voice in your head says, "Oh look! I lost weight! Now I can have more of _________" or "See, I bet this would still work if I added_________". A Whole 30 is like a relationship--you can't cheat on it and expect it to work. Save yourself the headache and hide the scale until you have reached Day 31.

Day 1, 2 and 3 will be the easiest for us because it is the beginning. Everyone is motivated at the beginning of any new commitment.  It's new, it is exciting, it's the magic solution we've all been waiting for! Well, I hate to break it to you, but there is no magic. It's just good, sound nutrition. And this will get old, really fast, probably starting on Day 4. That's where your support system comes in. It is so much easier to do this with someone, to complain about things with, to share in triumphs with, to ask questions. That's what The Daily Chomp is for. I also suggest starting a private facebook group for you to log your food, exercise and sleep to. Invite a friend or family member to go along with you. Heck, invite me and I will do it with you individually as well.  I can't tell you how many times in August I would post "I want my chocolate chocolate chip ice cream!!!" or "Give me cheese, this is killing me!" or "My boss has a whole fridge of Coke Zero 25 ft away from me. Tell me not to drink one." and immediately got the encouragement I needed to stick to my goal thanks to an amazing best friend and the wonders of technology and the Facebook alert. Remember, it is only 30 days. 30 days is a drop in the bucket compared to all the days we've already enjoyed as well as all the days we have yet to enjoy.

I will post this blog early and update it throughout the day  with my various meals/any activity.

Breakfast: A serving of egg casserole (bacon, eggs, tomatoes, salsa, celery, sweet onion, spinach), organic banana, handful of blueberries, serving of pecans, half a glass of mint tea. Sleep: 9.5 hours. Weight: 145.6.


Lunch: 3 Italian Whole 30 meatballs, organic carrots, organic tomatoes, organic baby spinach, baked organic gala apples with cinnamon. Mint tea.





Dinner: Two organic romaine lettuce leaves with Whole Foods Guacamole with Garlic, spiced shredded chicken, organic baby carrots, blueberries. The orange and blue sides are in honor of my Florida Gators as they get ready to destroy Louisville in the Sugar Bowl tomorrow night. Go Gators!








Day 1 is done!!!! In the history books. Great job. We only have to do this exactly 29 more times. I can't wait!



No comments:

Post a Comment